Posts tagged life
Posts tagged life
My week is basically:
- Monday #2
- Monday #3
- Monday #4
YESSS i knew i wasnt the only person out there who was making an issue out of this
My dad just explained this to me a month ago. True as fuck.
we’re moved! and we have internet now!! but we still have a million things to do (and i have plenty of stuff to unpack still) so everything still feels quite stressful. adulthood is busy and expensive and i don’t like it…@___@
meghan and i are moving into a new place this weekend and that’s exciting!! but things are moving really crazy fast and everything is a whirlwind, so i may be without internet for a few days. also, this whole week has been this craziness and i am super stressed so i am really sorry if i haven’t responded to you yet or something. it seems like my heart is running a mile a minute and yet i’m so tired i keep nodding off at weird times throughout the day. ; -;
- 20 minutes is not a long time. Marathon cleaning sessions, while satisfying, are exhausting and make you never want to clean ever again. 20 minutes at a time, once or a few times a day, is a sustainable way of keeping your habitat unfucked.
- PUT IT AWAY. Probably 75% of our mess is made up of things we didn’t put away. Whether it belongs in a drawer, in the closet, in the trash, or in the cabinet, make sure it finds its way home. This is critically important in two areas, especially: laundry and the dishes. Doing laundry and doing the dishes are not difficult tasks, but most of us give up before the “putting it away” step. Don’t. As soon as it’s done, everything goes back to its home.
- Most of the rest of our mess is because we have too much stuff and not enough places to put it. There are two solutions: less stuff, or more storage. Less stuff is, in the long run, almost always the better solution.
- GET OFF YOUR ASS. Look, housework is a pain in the ass, and it’s rarely fun. No one is disputing that, but it isn’t hard. What is hard is overcoming your own lack of motivation to just get up and do something. Anything.
- When your flat surfaces are clear, you feel like you’re making serious progress. Counters, tables, dressers, nightstands, etc. Try it.
- YOU DO NOT HAVE TO UNFUCK EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE. In fact, you shouldn’t. That’s how burnout happens. One thing at a time.
- TAKE BREAKS. It’s important for your state of mind. You can integrate cleaning into everything else you do. It doesn’t have to be all-or-nothing.
- You can only change your own habits. If you’re dealing with roommates or spouses or kids or parents who aren’t on board, the best you can do is tell them what you’re doing (trying to keep ahead of the mess), and ask them to help to not make it worse. Getting passive-aggressive or resentful because other people aren’t playing along only hurts you, and it’s not good for your brain.
- A little effort now saves you a lot of work in the long run. That’s why I advocate getting your stuff together at night for the next morning. That’s why I like dumping some cleaner in the toilet or tub or sink and letting it start to work while I do something else. That’s why taking the extra five seconds to wash your fork or put it in the dishwasher will always be a good idea, because it’ll stop Dish Mountain before it starts.
- STOP MAKING EXCUSES. Yes, yes, you have a million valid reasons why your mess has taken over. But I refuse to believe that you can’t spare 20 minutes, once a day, toward improving where you live. If you’re still making excuses, you don’t really want to do it. If you realize that 20 minutes is really no big deal, I can pretty much promise that things will get drastically better pretty quickly.
Addendum: If you are someone dealing with physical limitations, chronic illness, chronic pain, mental illness, or any other situation that makes getting your living environment under control difficult, please know that you are not lazy, and that we know that “getting off your ass” may not be easy or even possible sometimes.
We encourage anyone who has limitations to modify challenges, suggest alternatives, and, above all, put their health first. If you can only do five or three minutes of unfucking, that’s worth celebrating. If you accomplish something that’s been modified so you can do it seated or in shorter stages, we want to hear about it.
Most importantly: do what you can. Some days, this might not be as much as you’d hoped. That’s OK. Even tiny progress is still progress, and small but consistent change is more important than overnight miracles. You can do this. And if you get overwhelmed or discouraged, we’ll do our best to help.
(Also, UfYH has an iPhone/iPad app. I think it’s pretty awesome. Yes, we’re working on an Android version. I’ll let you know the moment I have news about it.)
Independent living is..
thought i’d put out a notice on my current life situation in case anyone is interested. the tl;dnr version is just that things are busy and i’ll be moving sometime in the next few weeks so i might be less active.
my whole office left to go to chipotle for lunch and i can’t have chipotle because they use too much cilantro which makes me throw up plus i have never ever been a fan of mexican food at all…possibly because of that cilantro thing. now i’m all alone for lunch.
so i’m guessing it may continue to leak little by little until i get that capped, but at least i know now and the light has gone off.
on the ride to work this morning my low tire pressure warning light came on. this morning was a frigid one for orlando though, in the 30’s on my ride to work though it’s supposed to warm back up to the 60’s later today (and to the 70’s tomorrow). i know that the air pressure can drop due to cold temperatures…so if the light was only because it was a bit chilly outside, should i put more air in?? it’s not like it’s going to stay that cold here in florida, so if i bring up my air pressure couldn’t it cause them to be overfilled once it’s warm again? am i wrong on that?
i was planning on checking/filling them at lunch today. i don’t like dealing with all this car business at all. halp?
Fred McFeely Rogers (March 20, 1928 – February 27, 2003)
i’ve come down with either the flu or a very annoying cold recently hoping i can get over it quickly…as in tonight. either way, just wanna apologize for not being super active recently. my bf was visiting this week (he left today :c) which was fun, but unfortunately very cold for florida. anyways, i got stuff to post and commissions to finish and stuff and i haven’t forgotten about that.
in other news, i recently got some cyberlox (crinoline tubes) in matte and metallic black to fashion into cord-like hair for my GLaDOS cosplay and i intend to play with that a bit and post some shots to figure out how i’ll be approaching that.
i’m starting to get worried about my cosplay though…. it’s my biggest cosplay undertaking so far, and i still have a lot left to do on it. and if i manage to finish it in time for megacon, i’m also really worried about how it will be received. i haven’t seen any other GLaDOS cosplays that approach it quite the way i am…and i was really proud of my idea before…..but now i’m wondering if people either won’t recognize me as GLaDOS or else not like my rendition of her since it’s not a latex body suit and white sci-fi bob wig like most of the other human versions of her. :/
John Berger Ways of Seeing (via spartanbitch)
This is super fucking relevant.
And why self portraits (selfies) are often such an act of self preservation and resistance.
Hahahaha this so much. I knew so many creeps who always idolized women’s bodies to the point of fetishizing it, but the second a girl showed any self-love? Oh, no, she’s foul.
That’s why when people call me vain or conceited I tear their throats out. Nobody loves me as much as me, shit.
I posted a photo of myself in a short black dress & some J Simp heels and IMPLIED that I thought I was cute.
Lost 8 followers instantly.
If we bring race into this and talk about how a BLACK woman can’t dare think she cute, we’d be here all day.
Damn cute I am gorgeous and thats often teh entire Point.
BEing gorgeous doesn’t HELP Black women, and often anything liek acknowledging that is treated liek something that must be eradicated.
You can’t liek yourself but you can hate other women.
Man let me not go off
I am constantly telling people how sexy I am and how I’m a goddess. Fuck anyone who says differently.